Redundancy Pay & Payment in Lieu of Notice (PILON)

16th September 2020

HMRC have introduced legislation which ensures employee’s statutory rights, including redundancy pay and payment in lieu on notice (PILON), are based on an employee’s normal pay and not their furlough pay.


Redundancy pay


An employee is entitled to redundancy pay if they have been working for their current employer for 2 years or more. Redundancy pay is calculated based on an employee’s normal weekly pay. If an employee has been paid less due to being on furlough, ensure the redundancy pay is calculated on what they would have earned before this. Redundancy pay is not taxable up to £30,000.


Payment in lieu of notice (PILON)


Along with redundancy pay, your employer should either:

  • Pay you as normal through your notice period
  • Make a payment in lieu of notice (PILON)


A payment in lieu of notice is made if employment is ended without notice and is included in your contract. This means your employer will pay you instead of giving you a notice period. You will receive the normal pay you would have during the notice period, including benefits such as pension contributions.


An employer can still offer a payment in lieu of notice if it is not in the employee’s contract, but should be agreed, in writing, between the employer and employee.


If an employee has been receiving reduced pay due to being on furlough, they should receive 100%, or their normal pay while they’re on statutory notice, or being paid for their notice period.


Statutory notice


The following are the minimum notice periods for the length of employment:

  • 1 month to 2 years – 1 week
  • 2 years to 12 years – 1 week for each year you have worked
  • 12 years or more – 12 weeks


Please note that an employee’s contract may specify a different amount of notice to the statutory minimums. This is known as “contractual notice”. An employer cannot give the employee less than the statutory minimum but can give more.


Other items in Blogs
Harriet Sim
22nd October 2021 Self Assessment late payment penalties

HMRC are now issuing six month late payment penalty notices, as the due date for 2019/20 tax payments was over seven months ago (includes consideration to the additional months extension as a result of the pandemic). Taxpayers facing financial difficulties due to the impact of COVID-19 may have entered into a time to pay arrangement…

Nick Edgley
21st October 2021 Holiday lettings – declare to HMRC

If you own a UK holiday let are you declaring your rental profits to HMRC? If not time may be running out to make a voluntary disclosure of past profits.   HMRC has the power to request information, or documents, from third parties such as holiday booking sites; as well as being able to search…

Keri John
20th October 2021 Xero – Assigning Bills to Customers

You can now assign bills to customers in Xero!   This makes it easier to allocate expenses occurred during a job to the correct customer.   Perfect for Estate Agents, event planners and more.   When creating a bill to pay onto Xero there is an option to ‘assign the bill to a customer’. You…

Jake Day
20th October 2021 Minimising Your IHT Exposure

As Benjamin Franklin once said; the only two certainties in life are death and taxes. Although it’s a sombre subject, it is important to put in place the right planning so that when we are hit by one, we can avoid the other. We want to ensure we are able to leave as much of…

Paul Jefferson
19th October 2021 VAT Registration

A business must compulsorily register for VAT if taxable 12 month turnover exceeds £85,000. They can voluntarily register for VAT as soon as they start trading, providing they expect to make taxable supplies in the future.   Businesses that provide to other businesses may choose to register for VAT voluntarily before the registration threshold is…

Sharon Mace
13th October 2021 VAT DIY Scheme: HMRC update list of allowable expenses

There has been some controversy on claims made on DIY building schemes. HMRC have updated their guidance on goods and services that can be claimed under the VAT DIY Housebuilders’ Scheme.   The list is extensive and gives an ABC of items that are allowed, from Agas to woodworm treatment – but there’s a catch,…