We understand that losing a loved one can be a very difficult and challenging time. It can often be a daunting process applying for probate and administering the estate correctly. We can offer advice and support with a clear and efficient plan covering the legal, tax and administrative processes involved.
The probate services we are typically asked to offer support with include:
- Advising the personal representatives on the action required.
- Interpretation of the Will and identifying the beneficiaries.
- Ascertaining the assets and liabilities as at the date of death.
- Valuation of business and shares.
- Advising on the inheritance tax liability and reliefs available.
- Application for Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration.
- Call in assets and settle liabilities.
- Calculation of the income tax and capital gains tax liabilities of the estate.
- Distribution to beneficiaries.
- Preparation of estate accounts.
We have been providing the majority of the above services to our clients for many years. We are accredited from the ICAEW to undertake the elements of non contentious probate work which are a reserved legal activity. Meaning we are able to offer our clients support throughout the whole probate process by providing a complete and seamless service.
In addition, our partners, named in a personal capacity, can act as Executors within your Will.
Why choose us?
- The legal, tax and administrative processes involved in dealing with an estate can be complex. This can add additional strain during an already stressful time. We can expert offer advice and guidance each step of the way.
- Where the deceased was an existing client of the firm, we will usually have an in depth knowledge of their financial and business interests and family circumstances. This gives us a head start in giving the personal representatives the best advice and the most cost-effective service.
- We offer a free initial consultation.
How long will administration take?
The simplest probate cases may take 6 months to complete, whilst a complex case could take two years or more. Some elements of the estate administration process are outside our control eg the time taken for the probate registry to process the probate application, for HMRC to agree a business or property valuation and the related tax liabilities, or for the sale of a property to a third party.
We will keep you informed at regular intervals on progress with the probate application and the administration of the estate. We will update you on the estimated time required to complete the estate administration.
How much will it cost?
Our charges are based on the time taken and the level of staff required to complete the assignment. Once we have agreed the scope of our work we will provide you with an estimate of our fees. Where our work proves to be more complex and time consuming than originally envisaged, we will advise you and agree a revised fee estimate as necessary.
Our probate department is based at our Bury St Edmunds Office. Our probate specialists Andrew Winearls, Paul Jefferson and Nick Edgley can be contacted on 01284 752313. All 3 are probate qualified and are authorised to provide probate services by ICAEW.
Whitings LLP is licensed to carry out the reserved legal activity of non-contentious probate in England & Wales by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales under the registration number C005774536. The Probate register and can be accessed at www.icaew.com/probate. The Probate regulations can be accessed at www.icaew.com/regulation/probate-services
Whitings Staff Diversity Questionnaire
Whitings LLP is accredited to perform the reserved legal service of non-contentious probate. We are required to collect, report and publish diversity data about our:
For information about our charging rates, professional indemnity insurance arrangements, our internal complaints procedure and how to contact the Legal Ombudsman please refer to our terms of business which you can find here www.whitingsllp.co.uk/about-us/fees/
Related ServicesEstates Inheritance Tax Private Client Tax Wealth Management Private Company Share Valuations
I have always found Whitings helpful, reliable and always willing to discuss problems and advise on the best procedure.