Companies House has just published a list of amusing excuses as to why company accounts weren’t filed on time. The excuses included ‘Pirates stole my accounts’ and ‘Goats ate my accounts’! See the full list below for other amusing reasons.
Whilst these excuses are amusing, unsurprisingly, none of the appellants were successful in having their late filing penalties overturned, and it does highlight an important point because 26,214 companies missed the filing deadline last year. Each of these companies would have incurred a penalty of at least £150 and potentially up to £3,000.
In the vast majority of cases the accounts filing deadline is nine months after the company’s period end.
If you require assistance to meet the filing deadline, we would recommend that you contact us in good time to avoid any potential penalties!
The full list of excuses is:
- Goats ate my accounts
- We delivered the accounts to the betting office next door to Companies House
- A volcano erupted and prevented me from filing
- Pirates stole my accounts
- It was Valentine’s Day
- Slugs ate my accounts
- My company was more successful than I thought it would be, so I was too busy to file
- I found my wife in the bath with my accountant